Young Southeast Asian Leaders Initiative (YSEALI) Professional Fellows Program on Governance and Society
Spring 2020 Program Postponed
Fall 2020 Program Dates: October 10 – November 19, 2020
Sponsored by the US Department of State
Hosted by the American Council of Young Political Leaders
About the Professional Fellows Program
In 2020, ACYPL will design and implement two Professional Fellows Programs (PFP) around the theme of Governance and Society for 50 international participants from Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor Leste, and Vietnam. These two exchanges – one in the spring and one in the fall – include a week of political and policy discussions in Washington, DC, a month-long individual fellowship in an American office, and participation in a three-day global Professional Fellows Congress in Washington, DC. Select fellows will then welcome their American hosts to their home country for an 8-14 day program to execute follow-on activities based on what they learned in the US.
ACYPL designs and implements the PFP program around the theme of Governance and Society. Ideal candidates for the program are Southeast Asian young professionals between the ages of the 25-35 who work in the areas of: legislative process; governance; public administration; policy making; political campaigns/political parties; the legal field; journalism; non-governmental organizations; or the empowering of women, children, minorities, persons with disabilities, and marginalized populations.
The ACYPL Professional Fellows Program is part of the Young Southeast Asian Leaders Initiative (YSEALI). YSEALI is aimed at engaging promising young leaders, aged 18-35, from the ASEAN countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor Leste, and Vietnam in developing and fostering innovative ideas for tackling what they have identified as their generation’s greatest challenges in the region.
- Must be a citizen, national, or permanent resident of Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor Leste, or Vietnam and have a professional background and project related to the theme of Governance and Society
- Living and working in your home country at the time of the application
- Between the ages of 25-35
- Fluent in oral and written English
- Have at least two years of professional experience at the time of the application
- Provide a comprehensive and well-conceived written framework for a project to benefit civil society or governance in your home country
- Demonstrated commitment to public service
- Leadership potential in government, the private sector, or civil society
- Committed to organizing an 8-14 day program in your home country for your American host
- Committed to becoming an active member in the YSEALI community
- Committed to returning to your home country for two years after the completion of the program
- Cannot hold dual-US citizenship or have traveled on a J-1 visa for a Department of State sponsored program in the past two years.
Fall 2020 Professional Fellows Program:
- February 1, 2020: Application opens
- April 7, 2020: Application closes
- June 2020: Semifinalists are contacted for interviews
- June – July 2020: Semifinalist interviews
- July 2020: Finalists are notified of acceptance
- October 10 – November 19, 2020: Program dates